Jayne earned her degree and returned to Dunedin in 1956.  At the time, Tampa Bay had three television stations on the air: WSUN, WTVT, and WFLA.  Jayne tried to get an interview at WFLA but couldn't get past reception.  

WTVT's original spartan lobby.

On her way back to Dunedin she stopped at WTVT, which was still in its converted restaurant building on Memorial Highway. "It was just the pits," recalls Jayne.  "The walls needed painting, and the studio was not very big.  But I lucked out because one of the girls in promotion had lived in my dorm back in Gainesville.  She called me when Gaylord took over in August of '56 and said 'Get over here.'  I was interviewed by the News Director, Dick John, and hired on the spot.  I was supposed to start in the news department on a Tuesday, but Dick called me on Monday and said 'You're starting tomorrow, but not in news.  They desperately need someone in the film department.  You're going to be a film editor.'  I didn't care because at least I was getting my foot in the door and would be earning $50 a week!"  Having no car and noting that Dunedin was a good 22 miles from the station, Jayne moved to Tampa and settled into an apartment near WTVT.  Even thought she would be working in television, a TV set was a luxury Jayne would have to put off for the time being.

Jayne in WTVT's film department

Jayne had arrived at WTVT during the transition time when Gaylord was pink-slipping selected Tison employees and replacing them with experienced staff or persons with high potential for their respective new jobs. "Every Friday at 4 o'clock they let someone go," recalls Jayne.  "I was new and apparently not in jeopardy, but some of the older Tison employees wouldn't come out of their offices on Friday afternoon for fear of being let go.  Finally, there was 'Black Friday' when seven people were terminated and that was it."

Jayne initially worked with Margaret 'Maggie' Kitchen, and Boykin Tison, who was the brother of the former owner, Walter Tison.  The film department was located in a construction shack while the new studio was being built, and Jayne recalls taking a reel of Popeye cartoons to the main building during a rainstorm.  She slipped, dropping the reel in fresh cement, which meant that somewhere under the completed studio there was a reel of entombed Popeye cartoons that would never see air.